The strength of punjab when meet its cuisine it pops out the heavenly dish
Hey there I am Ujjval, Today I m going to tell u the authentic recipe of MURG MAKHANI.
Before starting lets get a knowledge boost on this dish.
It is served in India and abroad. The dish has its roots in Punjabi cuisine and was developed
by the Moti Mahal restaurant in Daryaganj Delhi, India.
Chicken is marinated for several hours in a cream, yogurt and spice mixture. The spices may include
garam masala, ginger, garlic, lemon or lime, pepper, coriander, cumin, turmeric and chili. The chicken is usually cooked in a tandoor (traditional clay oven), but may be grilled, roasted, or pan fried.It is served in a mild curry sauce that includes butter. There are many variations on the composition and spicing of the sauce. Spices may include asafoetida, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, coriander, pepper and fenugreek . Cream may be used in the sauce or as a garnish. Cashew paste may be used as a thickener.
Garnishes can include butter, cream, green chillies, coriander, and fenugreek.
So lets start with the recipe:
1. Boneless chicken cut into 1½ inch pieces 400 grams
2. Lemon juice 1 tablespoon
3. Kashmiri red chilli powder 1 teaspoon
4. Salt to taste
5. Butter 2 tablespoons
6. For marinade
7. Yogurt 1/2 cup
8. Ginger paste 2 teaspoons
9. Garlic paste 2 teaspoons
10. Kashmiri red chilli powder 1/2 teaspoon
11. Garam masala powder 1/2 teaspoon
12. Salt to taste
13. Mustard oil 2 teaspoons
FOR MAKHANI GRAVY
1. Butter 2 tablespoons
2. Green cardamom 2
3. Clove 2
4. Black peppercorns 2-3
5. Cinnamon 1 inch piece
6. Ginger paste 1 teaspoon
7. Garlic paste 1 teaspoon
8. Tomato puree 1/2 cup
9. Red chilli powder 1/2 teaspoon
10. Salt to taste
11. Sugar 2 tablespoons
12. Kasoori methi 1/2 teaspoon
13. Fresh cream 1/2 cup
Here we are ready with our recipe ingredients so lets move onto the procedure to make
- Apply a mixture of red chilli powder, lemon juice and salt to the chicken pieces and set aside for half an hour in the refrigerator.
- Hang the yogurt in a muslin cloth for fifteen to twenty minutes to remove extra water. Add the ginger and garlic pastes, red chilli and garam masala powders, salt and mustard oil.
- Apply this marinade to the chicken pieces and place them in the refrigerator for three to four hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. String the chicken pieces onto skewers and cook in the preheated oven or a moderately hot tandoor for ten to twelve minutes or until almost done.
- Baste with the butter and cook for another two minutes. Remove and set aside.
- To make the makhni gravy, heat the butter in a non-stick pan. Add the green cardamoms, cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon.
- Sauté for two minutes, add the ginger and garlic pastes and sauté for two minutes. Add the tomato puree, red chilli powder, salt and half cup of water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for ten minutes. Add the sugar or honey and powdered kasoori methi.
- Add the cooked tandoori chicken pieces. Simmer for five minutes and add the fresh cream.
TAAAADAAAA THE MURG MAKHANI IS READY TO SERVE HOT WITH NAAN OR PARATHA....